Thursday, January 31, 2013

Fahrenheit 451


Author's Note: This is my final writing essay for the novel Fahrenheit 451. In this piece, I am writing about how the government gets out of control in this book. I wanted to truly explain what the government should be like. Also, in this essay I wanted to work on my sentence fluency. Sentence fluency has been one of the places of writing that I have struggled with and I need to vary my sentence lengths more.

I am walking down the street towards my home. There are fire trucks next door, police sirens across the road, and helicopters above my house.  I look over to my neighbors place, the dog is outside.  My neighbor's wife is running out of the door with her husband right behind her. The Mechanical Hound is chasing them through the streets. He shoots the poison. Three, two, one… They both are dead. I then walk through the doors into my house; I don't dare look behind me.  I grab the books under the table and sit. I sit and think of what would happen if the government changed. We would be living in a whole different universe.  Government in this sort of world has different problems, problems that you can change if you stood up for yourself.

Government is a very strong part of our country today. They determine the laws that keep up safe, and make sure the president is doing their job. Although, when you live in a world where the government doesn't help or agree with you, bad things will happen. For example, in the future they won't let you read books. Actually keep books in general. People in this country need to stand up for their rights.  That is exactly what Montag did in the book Fahrenheit 451.

Even though the government in this book may not be the best, there are spots that they can overcome. If this ever happened in our time, people may protest. Although, that will still take you nowhere. If bad things are happening in the area that you live in, the government should set notice to it. They don’t need to kill you if you have a book in your house. You need to compromise, make a solution to the problem. That’s something that Captain Beattie did not do.

Government in this world has quite a few complications that you can change. Each country has their own kind of government that they live off of. Even if it is a dictatorship, a monarchy, or just a federal government. Although, they all do have their problems, their goal is to make their country safe. That is what the people in Fahrenheit 451 did, or at least tried to do. Despite the troubles that they went through, Montag still ended up saving his country that he cared about deeply. He may have broken the law along his journey, but everyone has obstacles on the way to make things happen. 

No comments:

Post a Comment