Monday, October 22, 2012

Halloween


Author's Note: In this piece, I wanted to be more scary than happy. Halloween is coming around the corner so I wanted to do a writing piece about a scary time on Halloween. This writing piece is supposed to be creative writing. This is a piece I wanted to proofread more. I usually don't spend as much time looking over my writing as I should, so it would come out of conventions. (This has not happened in real life)

As you drive through my neighborhood, you can practically smell the Halloween! There are pumpkins and spiders and fake ghosts everywhere. Although, tonight is the worst night of all. It is actually Halloween. Children are running from house to house, seeing who can get the most candy. The housewives of the neighborhood see who can decorate the house the best.  Where my family, as simple as can be, just have one pumpkin (not even carved) and an orange light bulb in our lamp post. Although, it isn't my family that doesn’t like Halloween, it's me.

It happened a long time ago. I was just a little girl, wearing my Cinderella costume. Since I was only five, I could not search the streets for fallen candy by myself, so I was sitting in the wagon with my mom and older sister pulling me along. I had to walk up each driveway in the cold, seeing teenage boys egging and toilet papering the houses. As I walked up one specific driveway far away from any other house, I rang the doorbell. As the lady of the house opened the door, it wasn't me who was saying trick-or-treat.

     ********
The lady pulled me into her house as I screamed for my mom. Of course, my mother didn't hear me; it was just like a scary movie.  She put dark gray duck tape over my mouth and hands, and shoved me into a closet. It was pitch black, just like the night sky. I stood up and turned on the light somehow. As I stared around the room, I realized that I wasn't alone. Inside, there were my neighbors that I recognized, young and old.

We all realized that something bad was going to happen, like this lady was going to kill us or make us into stew like the witch in Hansel and Gretel. And then I thought of something. Last year when I was four, I was sitting on the couch watching TV when a beeping came on. It was a week after Halloween, so everyone thought it was a prank or something. As the women's picture came up, she looked old and wrinkled with a grin on her face and a big wart on her nose, just like a witch. As the beeping stopped a voice said "Look out for Alana Friday. Stole kids on October 31, moved houses, if seen call the number...
Alana Friday was the person that trapped us in her house.

     ********
Over the time being, more and more kids came into the closet. Pretty soon it was full of kids and the door had to be kept open. We didn't hear mothers and fathers and police officers outside asking what was going on in there. Everyone was able to get the duck tape off of their mouths and hands so they could breathe. Young children were crying for their parents while the older ones were trying to comfort them. Finally, all of the lights in the house turned off. The digital clock in the living room said it was midnight. We finally came up with a plan to escape.

The little kids travelled out the door first. With the older ones staying in the closet making sure that the lady wouldn't come back. Finally everyone got out of the house safely. One of the older girls called 9-1-1 on their cell phones when all of a sudden, the garage door opened. Everyone hid behind bushes when the lady yelled "Where did you go. You can run but you can't hide."

Finally, sirens sounded and all of the kids jumped out of the bushes and ran. The police cars surrounded the house and the lady ran around the back of the house into the woods behind her. She was soon captured by the officers and taken to prison for violence of children.

    ********
When I tell people that story, they think that I'm making it up or it is supposed to be one of those ghost stories that you tell camping. If they say that, I just smile and say "Ya, I made it all up. You caught me."
It was one of the scariest days of my life, even though I was only five and barely knew what was going on. That is why I hate the witches, goblins, and all of the other monsters that Halloween is based upon, because I have truly met one. 

1 comment:

  1. I enjoyed reading this quite a bit. I am not a real fan of Halloween, but I can get into the spirit of things if I have to; this piece sort of got me in the spirit of the holiday -- so called. The history of Halloween is interesting to me, and if we celebrated it the way it was intended to be done, it would be far more compelling, and have a greater impact on us all -- far greater than pumpkins and door decorations. Thanks for the sharing.
    Meanwhile, this is not is bad shape as far as mechanics go, but if you would like to go over it, as always it would be my pleasure to do so with you.

    ReplyDelete